Hours and Directions
Due to the Governor’s Emergency Order regarding COVID-19, the Chihuahuan Desert Nature Park is closed until further notice.
Closed until further notice
Getting to the Nature Park
- From I-25 in Las Cruces, New Mexico, head east on Highway 70.
- Take the Mesa Grande Rd. exit (at Oñate High School)
- Make a U-turn under the highway to head west on the frontage road.
- Turn right (north) on Jornada Road.
- Proceed north on Jornada Road for approximately 6.5 miles.
- Turn left just before the Chihuahuan Desert Nature Park entrance sign.
- Follow the entrance road west to the Nature Park parking lot and trail head.
NOTE TO TEACHERS TAKING FIELD TRIPS
The first half of your field trip may take place at the headquarters of the Jornada Experimental Range. Check your confirmation letter or call the Asombro Institute for Science Education office to be sure (575-524-3334). If you are starting at the Jornada Experimental Range, follow the directions above but continue north on Jornada Road for 17 miles.
Do NOT turn left at the stone pillars or at the Chihuahuan Desert Nature Park entrance sign!